Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ginger Orange French Toast



French toast takes me back to being a little kid. That was my mom's breakfast specialty. Dad did the pancakes, but mom made French Toast. It was always a great treat smothered with butter and cinnamon sugar.

I had some stale-ish bread in the fridge that needed to go and so French toast was on the menu for breakfast Saturday morning. I wanted to punch up the flavor a bit, since while regular milk and eggs work great, I wanted a bit more depth to my stale bread. I ended up adding some orange juice, vanilla and ginger to my egg and cream (yes, I used cream, it was handy since there was no milk and was delicious!). What I ended up with was a subtle orange ginger flavor that was great alone or with syrup.

Ginger Orange French Toast

(Measurements are approximate, add more or less to taste)

1 c. cream or milk or half-n-half
1-2 eggs
1/4 c. orange juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. ground ginger

9 slices of French bread (the more dry and stale the better)

Beat ingredients in a shallow bowl with a fork. Heat pan on medium and add a bit of olive oil to the bottom. Dip bread on both sides the place in the pan. Flip when underside is lightly browned. *Do not let the bread soak, as it will not cook all the way through or be very soggy and difficult to flip.

No comments:

Post a Comment