Saturday, April 23, 2011

Time for a Break

Finally Easter break has come! Though rainy, it has been a productive break so far, meaning that I have done everything around the house except work on my paper for class. I finally had a chance to get out and work in my garden since it was not raining for a day. I planted Hostas, Dahlias, Fresias, and Tulips. I even climbed up in the Japanese maple and trimmed up the branches some. It was nice to finally be out in warm weather.

It is nice this year to not have to make an Easter dinner, but I am in charge of dessert. So I will be making vanilla cupcakes with lemon cream cheese icing for lunch and a rhubarb cobbler for dinner.

Rhubarb is probably one of my favorite spring foods. The part you eat is the stalk, which reminds me somewhat of asparagus and celery. The red stalk is tender and very bitter, but when sugar is added and then cooked, it creates a tart treat. If you like lemon bars or lemon meringue pie, then you will probably like rhubarb.

I will be consulting my inherited copy of Betty Crocker's cook book circa 1980 (with my mom's notes) for the cobbler recipe and will post pictures upon completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment