Sunday, September 11, 2011

Today We Remember

Things have been extremely busy and I have been a slacker with posting, as well as I am having issues with my internet and just need a faster connection since it has become a real pain to upload pictures. Today, however I wanted to share something that I though could speak my sentiments better than I could. When I was in college I went to NYC and hear His Holiness the Dalai Lama speak in Central Park. After waiting almost all day, we finally heard his words of peace and kindness, something we could use more of in this world. He has an amazingly calming presence and really does smile a lot. So here are his words of peace as we remember on the 10th anniversary of September 11th.

"Today, as we mark the tenth anniversary of the September 11th 2001 attacks on New York and Washington DC, let us remember all the innocent lives lost and ponder the continuing impact of that tragic day. September 11th reminds us of the horror we human beings can unleash on ourselves when we allow our human intelligence and powerful technology to be overtaken by hatred.

We need to learn from our painful memories of September 11th and become more aware of the destructive consequences that arise when we give in to feelings of hatred. This tragedy in particular has reinforced my belief that fostering a spirit of peaceful co-existence and mutual understanding among the world’s peoples and faith traditions is an urgent matter of importance to us all. We must therefore make every effort to ensure that our various faith traditions contribute to build a more caring, peaceful world."

The Dalai Lama
September 9, 2011

Originally published in the Washington Post on September 10, 2011.
Online Link

No comments:

Post a Comment