Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cookies and Cream Popcorn


It has been quite some time since I have posted... again... and I have finally found a recipe that I feel might be what I needed to break my non-posting slump.  Yes, friends, it was so intriguing that as soon as I saw the recipe online while simultaneously eating lunch/checking email/catching up on my Google reader feeds I printed it out and stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work.  Which, by the way is not something that I usually do when it is raining...there is something about all those wet plastic bags that bothers me (yes, I use plastic bags...it keeps me from paying for them to be used as trash bags...so don't judge me!)

Anyway, the recipe is for Cookies and Cream Popcorn!  Now you may think that is really not your thing, but trust me it is excellent!  After making this batch, I found that I could not stop snacking on it and finally had to package it up so that I did not eat the entire pan.  What I like about this snack is that it is super quick and easy to make, as well as it has all the things that are great about a snack: sweet, salty, crunchy and doesn't leave your hands all messy when you are finished (good for sneaking a handful without getting caught!).

So here is the recipe that was inspirational enough to get me to brave my super slow internet to attempt a post...with pictures!


This is from before I realized what a mess it was trying to chop these by hand on a small cutting board!


Cookies and Cream Popcorn
modified slightly from Handle the Heat

1 bag of microwave popcorn (the home style kind, not the super buttery kind)
12 chocolate cookies with cream filling, aka. Oreos, chopped up
6 oz. of white chocolate chopped (or half a 12 oz. bag of white choco. chips)


  • Pop the microwave popcorn.  I use the popcorn setting on my microwave, or just follow the directions on the package.  Allow this to cool while you are getting everything else ready.  
  • Cover a baking sheet with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
  • Chop the chocolate cookies into pieces about the size of a cheerio.  I ended up throwing mine in the food processor and pulsing, just don't over process them or you will end up with crumbs. 
  • In a microwave proof bowl, melt the chips in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
  • Put cookies and popcorn in a large bowl and mix gently.  Add about half the melted chips and then stir a bit so that you bring the un-coated popcorn to the top.  Then add the remainder of the melted chips and stir until all of the popcorn/cookie mix is coated.  Spread the mix over the foil covered pan and allow to cool until the chocolate has hardened.  Gently break apart into the desired size and put in sealed bags or containers.  This will keep similarly to caramel corn, don't refrigerate or it will get soggy.
This is a great take-a-long for parties or as holiday gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment